“He had just eaten his bottle for the afternoon,” Dempsey said. “He was a little warm, but we figured it was a warm day so get him home and let him cool off.” Despite being given medicine, though, Killy’s condition did not improve. The couple took immediate action as a result and brought him to the nearest emergency room.
On arrival at St. Mary’s hospital, Richmond, little Killy underwent a number of tests. Pediatric doctors subsequently diagnosed the baby boy with meningitis, a potentially fatal infection affecting the meninges or membranes that protect the brain and spinal cord. As a result, Killy was placed in the intensive care unit for monitoring and treatment. By then, though, his blood pressure had dropped and the rash was covering most of his skin.
Killy’s parents were devastated with the news and prepared themselves for the worst. “The moment they said meningitis, I knew there was a really strong possibility that we were going to lose him,” Dempsey told WTVR-TV. The young mom was clearly aware of the dangers that often come with the condition.